By Na'aman, Nadav
Read or Download Collected Essays, Volume 1: Ancient Israel and Its Neighbors: Interaction and Counteraction PDF
Similar ancient books
Domestic to a few of the main extraordinary feats of engineering in addition to awe-inspiring typical vistas, historic Egypt was once a land of significant promise fulfilled. Its pyramids, writing structures, and artwork all predate the Islamic conquest and are symbols of the civilizations power. This quantity invitations readers to bask in the splendors of old Egyptian tradition and become aware of the traditions that experience fired imaginations world wide for generations.
The Chronicle of Morea, essentially the most vital and debatable historic narratives written within the overdue center a while, tells the tale of the formation and govt through the Villehardouin dynasty of a remarkably profitable Crusader kingdom following the conquest through western invaders of the capital - Constantinople - and the provinces of the Byzantine Empire.
Probably the most major alterations of the Roman global in overdue Antiquity used to be the combination of barbarian humans into the social, cultural, spiritual, and political milieu of the Mediterranean global. the character of those variations used to be thought of on the 6th biennial moving Frontiers in overdue Antiquity convention, on the college of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in March of 2005, and this quantity offers an up to date number of the papers given on that celebration, complemented with a number of others.
This assortment presents an summary of the reception background of a massive literary style from Greco-Roman antiquity to the current day. taking a look first at Athenian comedian poets and comedy within the Roman Empire, the amount is going directly to speak about Greco-Roman comedy's reception in the course of the a while. It concludes with a glance on the sleek period, making an allowance for literary translations and level productions in addition to glossy media comparable to radio and movie.
- Ancient Building in South Syria and Palestine
- The Interplay of Roman and Iranian Titles in the Roman East: 1st-3rd Century Ad (Veroeffentlichungen Zur Byzanzforschung)
- Histology of Ancient Human Bone: Methods and Diagnosis: Proceedings of the “Palaeohistology Workshop” held from 3–5 October 1990 at Gottingen
- Stories from the History of Rome
- Ancient China
- 7 Ancient Keys to Happiness: A 90 Day, Lesson-a-Day Guide to Achieving Inner-Bliss
Additional info for Collected Essays, Volume 1: Ancient Israel and Its Neighbors: Interaction and Counteraction
25. For the "tribute" of Egypt, see Wiseman 1951:23:20-21; Wiseman 1956:126:23-25. For the restoration of the text, see Tadmor 1964:223. Forced Participation in Alliances 31 although the Assyrian king must have many more considerations and motives in this operation than the rescue of his loyal vassal, the king of]udah. How can we explain the fact that Israel was not annexed in its entirety? It is worth noting that the same policy was applied to the kingdom of Hamath in 738: most of its areas were annexed, but the reduced kingdom of Hamath remained vassal under its new king, Eni-ilu (Na'aman 1974:238-239).
1974. Le Proche-Orient asiatique. Les empires Mesopotamiens. Israel. (Nouvelle Clio, l'histoire et ses problemes). Paris. L. 1975. Textbook of Syrian Semitic Inscriptions 2. Oxford. Gray, J. 1970. I & II Kings: A Commentary. 2"d revised edition. (Old Testament Library). Philadelphia. R. 1979. Sua and Jehu: The Boundaries of Shalmaneser's Conquest. PEQ 111: 3539. D. 1974. Assyrians and Hittites. Iraq 36: 67-83. D. 1972-75. C. RLA IV: 152-162. D. 1982. The Neo-Hittite States in Syria and Anatolia.
1957. Israel and the Aramaeans of Damascus. London. Ungnad, A. 1938. Eponymen. RLA II: 412-457. Ussishkin, D. 1982. The Conquest ofLachish by Sennacherib. Tel Aviv. Vogt, E. 1986. Der Aufstand Hiskias and die Belagerung]erusalems 701 v. Chr. Rome. J. 1980. Prophet against Prophet: The Role of the Micaiah Narrative (1 Kings 22) in the Development ofthe Early Prophetic Tradition. Grand Rapids. Weippert, M. 1973. Menahem von Israel und seine Zeitgenossen in einer Steleninschrift des assyrischen Ki:inigs Tiglathpileser Ill.